Orientation volunteer thing

A space for current JETs to share information and ask questions about life and work in Japan.

Orientation volunteer thing

Postby king » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

Does anyone know where the sign up to be considered for the orientation is?
I heard it was out mid-February but theres been no email notification.
king

Re: Orientation volunteer thing

Postby Amy_NagasakiPA » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Here: http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/news/toa% ... ation.html
You need to speak to your supervisor/CO about deadlines in case they want it earlier than 7th March. :D
Amy_NagasakiPA

Postby king » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks.
Sorry to turn this into a general questions about it thread when I could just be emailing them to the relevant people but... this presentation outline stuff....that is for everyone right?- its not separate application for applying to present at the orientation and applying to just help with the airport and stuff.
And....this should be on the topics they mention with the ticky boxes?
king

Postby Patryn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 am

Yes, presentation outlines are for everyone. The TOAs help out with the workshops apparently.

Yes, outlines based on the topics given in the tick boxes on the form.
Patryn

Postby Nausicaablue » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Okay, I'd like to apply but haven't heard a peep from my school, guess I'll have to bring it up. I see the info on the JET site but I need to know how we pay for our travel. Is it covered by JET or are we on our own to get to Tokyo and back. I expect JET pays for hotel rooms and food once we are there, yes?
Atlanta Consulate
Group A
Nausicaablue

Postby pnksweater » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

CLAIR pays for your travel and hotel. Travel is reimbursed promptly upon arrival at the hotel/CLAIR offices in Tokyo. What you’ll need to worry about from your end is whether or not your CO expects you to take nenkyu for it.
pnksweater

Postby Jen_KyotoPA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Nausicaablue wrote:Okay, I'd like to apply but haven't heard a peep from my school, guess I'll have to bring it up. I see the info on the JET site but I need to know how we pay for our travel. Is it covered by JET or are we on our own to get to Tokyo and back. I expect JET pays for hotel rooms and food once we are there, yes?

There's info about that on the website too, in the link with the application forms etc. I believe CLAIR covers accommodation and travel expenses, not sure about food.
Jen_KyotoPA
Prefectural Advisor (PA)

Postby Siyris » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

pnksweater wrote:CLAIR pays for your travel and hotel. Travel is reimbursed promptly upon arrival at the hotel/CLAIR offices in Tokyo. What you’ll need to worry about from your end is whether or not your CO expects you to take nenkyu for it.

This is not entirely true I don't htink.... CLAIR pays for the travel and hotel of the people present CLAIR/MEXT workshops..... for those presenting AJET workshops you pay for your travel yourself.... I believe they still pay for your hotel though... I would have to check. The application materials do say.
Siyris

Postby Patryn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 am

taken from the material. RTFM is quite apt here, IMO.

" CLAIR/MEXT bears the transportation and accommodation fees for the CLAIR/MEXT Presenters’ Meeting and Tokyo Orientation for TOAs."

To avoid confusion, there are 2 seperate things here:
CLAIR/MEXT Presenters’ Meeting
Tokyo Orientation - A/B/C

Doesn't matter what you're presenting as you will still be a TOA and have other duties to perform. IF you are selected, the only thing that is up in the air is whether your CO will call this a business trip, give you special leave, or make you take nenkyuu.
Patryn

Postby Nausicaablue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for all the answers guys! Of course I saw that bit about Clair/Mext bearing the cost shortly after posting, duh.

I have another question though. Have any of you ever been a TOA before and if so how was it? What did you do? Did you get any free time at all?
Atlanta Consulate
Group A
Nausicaablue

Postby Patryn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I would say that most JETs would have been to a TOA before... xD I know I had to go to one to check my name off a list and get on a bus.

But i'm guessing you mean as a TOA. Which I haven't, but I'd imagine there'd be some free time, though the one on the bus did say they had to get up really early!
Patryn

Postby Panra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Nausicaablue wrote:I have another question though. Have any of you ever been a TOA before and if so how was it? What did you do? Did you get any free time at all?

I had a great time being a TOA last year. It`s really refreshing to see the newbies and remember `that was me!` at one time haha. I didn`t realize at the time, but if you`re chosen to present for an AJET workshop you don`t have to say yes. If you decline, they`ll schedule you to do more shifts (particularly night shifts) in the hospitality center or the help desk. I ended up saying yes and I presented which went pretty well. Your free time will depend on your shift obviously, but just remember that you`re still on the clock as TOA and so it`s encouraged that you keep yourself available or around the hotel to help the new arrivals.

Good luck!
Panra

Postby duelingmonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am

Does anyone know if the outlines have to be of the workshops you checked on the application form?

Can it be for other workshops?
ALT, ES/JHS||2011-present||reppin' Minneapolis, MN
Kochi AJET Representative 2012-present
duelingmonkey

Postby king » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

I'm really confused on these presentation outlines....
So you need to make a presentation outline for such a strictly defined topic....just how do you do that? i mean...it seems like its asking how well you remember having the exact same presentation yourself but that seems a bit mad.
king

Postby Patryn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 am

Sure! Write an outline for a presentation for a workshop which you didn't select you could present. Sounds like a good idea to me!

RTFM (or in this case, form)
:roll:
Patryn

Next

Return to Current JETs