Weight loss/gain

A space for current JETs to share information and ask questions about life and work in Japan.

Re: Weight loss/gain

Postby Jax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Damien_ShimanePA wrote:There seems to be quite a few comments that fruit and vegetables are expensive here. Maybe my situation is unusual but at the local grocers I pay 98 yen for an avacodo, 128 at the supermarket. 298 for four apples or a punnet of grapes. 112 for peppers. I don't find that expensive at all, even if it may work out a few cents more expensive than home. I'm really curious how much you're all paying in other regions.

It's mostly a bit more expensive than home, but not budget breaking. Avocados I found to be the *exact* same price at home and some things a little bit more. I look for sales and try to get what's in season. But peaches? There is no hope for finding those cheap... I think the best I found this year was 2 for 598 yen. Oof.

My favorites (watermelon and raspberries) are a whole lot more money than at home. I get a chunk of watermelon for what my mom pays for a whole one. :cry: Ah well. Eating healthily can cost just as much as eating unhealthily. All those fried foods at the stores? The bakeries and snack aisles? It all adds up!
Jax

Postby kaleido » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Damien_ShimanePA wrote:There seems to be quite a few comments that fruit and vegetables are expensive here. Maybe my situation is unusual but at the local grocers I pay 98 yen for an avacodo, 128 at the supermarket. 298 for four apples or a punnet of grapes. 112 for peppers. I don't find that expensive at all, even if it may work out a few cents more expensive than home. I'm really curious how much you're all paying in other regions.

Here (Kyushu) I buy avocados for 199 yen. If I ever see them cheaper they tend to be looking a bit too black for my tastes, because then they're either about to go bad or they already are. I actually just bought a bag of four apples for 399 yen today, and it was the last one -- I had gone to a different grocer yesterday and they didn't have the bags of four, only the singular ones which range from 130 yen to 300 yen or more per apple, depending. Green peppers are cheap, 100 yen for quite a few, but that's why I mentioned red and yellow peppers which are 199 yen each. I don't remember how much grapes cost because I never buy them (though the reason for that is, again, that I find them too expensive to be worth it). These are all things that are more expensive -- usually around double -- the price of things back home (USA).
kaleido

Postby Moosashi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 am

I can say that my weight was pretty much static the 3 years I was on JET. I've weighed like 165-175lbs since college.

Thought I love running, gym and do ju-juitsu.

If you maintain a level of fitness, then you're body weight shouldn't go up.

I find a lot of people drink too much or eat a lot more junk foods here though. So if you do that, you'll definitely gain weight.
I'm A Leaf On the Wind - Watch How I Soar!
Moosashi

Postby king » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

I blame gyudon.
You think to yourself "oh, its rice and meat, its like proper food, its gotta be OK for you, right?"
Alas.....
king

Postby Patryn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 am

but they're the best things! also, Ice cream and soft drinks/soda/pop/fizzy drinks! :D

I have obviously gained weight since being here! xD
Patryn

Postby stephanieh » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:30 pm

The first time I came to Japan, I lost roughly 10 lbs in a four month period. It was mostly because I was living off University food, consuming only about 1000-1200 calories in a day (I started counted).

I was really excited to come back to Japan; I assumed those pounds would start shedding off again. However, I was very saddened this weekend when I weighted myself at the onsen. I've gained 10 lbs since coming here in August! I'm now the heaviest I've been my life. I'm still at a healthy, average weight for my height and built, but I would like to be back to where I was before coming here. I think it's different this time around since I have my own kitchen, live near tons of delicious restuarants, and drive to school rather than walk.

I'm starting a new regimine now to eat as healthy as I can. Luckily, my town has some pretty cheap fruits and veggies that are still of good quality (my sympathy goes out to some of the other posters here). I'm trying to eat better and eat less, but that might be hard with winter about to come!
stephanieh

Weight loss/gain

Postby Joanna_IshikawaPA » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:21 am

I've lost I over 10kg since being here and am still going, but it's been a conscious effort. As other posters have shown, it's just as easy to gain weight here as anywhere else if you don't pay attention to what you eat and how active you are.
Joanna_IshikawaPA
Prefectural Advisor (PA)

Postby Narcheska » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:06 pm

I was fine in Summer and Autumn, but then Winter hit and it was bloody cold and I stopped running for fear that my lungs would freeze :lol: I put on 5kg, but not from the food. Just no exercise. If you stay away from the fried stuff your diet is actually really healthy. I still can't eat pasta, since coming back - it feels too weird!
- 'The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.'
Narcheska

Previous

Return to Current JETs