How long can jets stay after jet?

A space for current JETs to share information and ask questions about life and work in Japan.

How long can jets stay after jet?

Postby king » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I've decided not to renew this year (worst decision ever :( ) though I think I want to stay in Japan for a little while after my contract is up. I have another year on my visa and all is fine there, but does anyone know, how long do you have after the end of your contract to claim your flight home?
king

Re: How long can jets stay after jet?

Postby ScottPC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

You'll need to check your own terms and conditions (contract) to make sure, but generally the return travel allowance is provided to non-reappointing JET participants who fulfill the following criteria (I think #3 is the one you're specifically asking about):
1) Completes the term of appointment
2) Does not enter into subsequent employment with the contracting organisation or a third party in Japan within one month after completing the term of appointment
3) Leaves Japan to return to his/her home country no later than one month from the day following the end of the term of appointment.
ScottPC
CLAIR, Programme Coordinator

Postby KIKKI.K » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm

king wrote:I've decided not to renew this year (worst decision ever :( ) though I think I want to stay in Japan for a little while after my contract is up. I have another year on my visa and all is fine there, but does anyone know, how long do you have after the end of your contract to claim your flight home?

If you're regretting not renewing your contract, you've still got time to change your mind! I think that the final decision is not due until the first week of February...
KIKKI.K

Postby sykoscout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm

It depends on how your CO chooses to handle your return flight arrangements. If they take the responsibility of booking your flight for you, then you'd obviously have to abide by their terms (for example, within a one-month window like was already stated). However, if you're given the option to do your own booking, you might be able to get around this... some COs just ask for a quote from a travel agent and cut you a cheque for that amount, in which case you could spend the money however/whenever you please...
sykoscout

Postby Siyris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 pm

sykoscout wrote:It depends on how your CO chooses to handle your return flight arrangements. If they take the responsibility of booking your flight for you, then you'd obviously have to abide by their terms (for example, within a one-month window like was already stated). However, if you're given the option to do your own booking, you might be able to get around this... some COs just ask for a quote from a travel agent and cut you a cheque for that amount, in which case you could spend the money however/whenever you please...

Legally, this is not true. IF your CO found out about that, they would have every right to sue you for the money they gave you for the flight. It is in the contract that you must leave within 30 days if the CO is paying for your flight home. Would they find out? Probably not.... but legally, you would be stealing their money if you did it that way.

OP: Also, be careful with your visa. Just because it has another year left on it, doesn't mean you can actually stay here for that year -- once you are no longer working for your CO, you have 90 days in which to either leave the country or change visas.... your visa is in connection to your CO, so if you are no longer working for them, your visa is no longer valid (except for the 90 day grace period).
Siyris

Postby Namisuke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am

I have a feeling we all have 1 month after our contracts to stay in Japan. After that, you have to leave and come back on a tourist visa for 3 months or get a new job here. That might even be a law to only be able to stay one month later. When I worked for another company in Japan, the rules were the same.
ALT in Takanosu, Kita Akita City, Akita Prefecture
Namisuke

Postby pnksweater » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:16 am

Visa wise, yes, if you stop working you have 90 days to find another job in the same visa category. Legally speaking, that work visa is yours. It exists independent of your employer. However, you have to keep working in the same field in order to retain it. Contract wise… well you’ll just have to ask your CO. They are well within their rights to not fulfill their contract obligation to fly you home if you don’t fulfill your contract obligation of using that ticket within the stipulated time frame.

If you don’t care about the ticket and want to explore Japan or change employers, no one is going to knock on your door and deport you. Just make sure you do the correct paperwork. If you do hang around and overstay you will be deported at the airport and told not to come back for a long time. Talk to your PA. Talk to your CO. Find out what your contract says and what JETs have done in the past. The last thing you want to do is burn bridges with the person responsible for filing your lump sum pension withdrawal.
pnksweater

Postby sykoscout » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Siyris wrote:Legally, this is not true. IF your CO found out about that, they would have every right to sue you for the money they gave you for the flight. It is in the contract that you must leave within 30 days if the CO is paying for your flight home. Would they find out? Probably not.... but legally, you would be stealing their money if you did it that way.

I thought someone might point this out :roll:

Technically you may have to leave within 30 days, but assuming you don't specifically inform them of your itinerary, your CO has no way of knowing when you leave Japan. If someone wanted to hang around for 5 weeks instead of 4, I'd hardly call that "stealing". Regardless, if the CO cares that much about how the money is spent or being a stickler for the 30 day rule, they'd insist on buying the ticket themselves, or otherwise having some way of monitoring it. Some COs do, some don't. ESID.
sykoscout

Postby ScottPC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Technically you may have to leave within 30 days, but assuming you don't specifically inform them of your itinerary, your CO has no way of knowing when you leave Japan.

I advise against this. Every year there are cases in which JET participants do not inform their contracting organisations and leave Japan after one month, only to be later asked by the contracting organisation for a copy of the boarding pass, or to be contacted by the contracting organisation later because somebody in the town, from the BOE, etc. saw them still in Japan after one month had passed. In cases like this, a contracting organisation will usually ask the JET participant to reimburse them the funds they spent on the flight.

If you would like to stay a few days or a week longer than the one month that is allowed, please ask your contracting organisation well in advance. Some contracting organisations might show some leniency. However, keep in mind that they are under no obligation to do so. If they aren't, at least you will know in advance and will be able to plan accordingly.
ScottPC
CLAIR, Programme Coordinator

Postby sykoscout » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

ScottPC wrote:
Technically you may have to leave within 30 days, but assuming you don't specifically inform them of your itinerary, your CO has no way of knowing when you leave Japan.

I advise against this. Every year there are cases in which JET participants do not inform their contracting organisations and leave Japan after one month, only to be later asked by the contracting organisation for a copy of the boarding pass, or to be contacted by the contracting organisation later because somebody in the town, from the BOE, etc. saw them still in Japan after one month had passed. In cases like this, a contracting organisation will usually ask the JET participant to reimburse them the funds they spent on the flight.

If you would like to stay a few days or a week longer than the one month that is allowed, please ask your contracting organisation well in advance. Some contracting organisations might show some leniency. However, keep in mind that they are under no obligation to do so. If they aren't, at least you will know in advance and will be able to plan accordingly.

Huh. Fair enough! I guess if you don't want to burn bridges with your coworkers, perhaps it's not worth the risk.
sykoscout

Postby Siyris » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 pm

sykoscout wrote:Huh. Fair enough! I guess if you don't want to burn bridges with your coworkers, perhaps it's not worth the risk.

Or, y'know, bring a bad image down on all foreigners. I mean really... it's no wonder a lot of JTEs/BoEs/companies/etc think of ALTs as irresponsible selfish jerks. If you look at some of the advice thrown around on here (not saying it's only you Scout.... I'm guilty of it, as is almost everyone on here in one circumstance or another), we give ourselves and those that come after us a really bad image with some of the crap we pull.
Siyris

Return to Current JETs