Which smartphone?

A space for current JETs to share information and ask questions about life and work in Japan.

Which smartphone?

Postby jerseywonder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm looking at leaving the Stone Age and finally upgrading my crappy pink AU flip phone to one of those new-fangled smartphones that have constant internet access and lots of useful (and not so useful) apps available to pass the time. As I already have an iPod Touch and am used to the layout / features on it, I was thinking of just going for the iPhone - pretty standard amongst JETs, it seems.

However, before I take the plunge I was wondering if anyone here can make a case for a different smartphone, rather than the iPhone (*gasp*)? All I want is to be able to get online whenever, download some apps to help with studying Japanese, and take decent photos. Hopefully without breaking the bank. Since all smartpones can do these things, are there any convincing reasons for picking one model over the other? I really have no clue about all this!
jerseywonder

Re: Which smartphone?

Postby word » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 pm

If AU had offered the iPhone when I got my smartphone, I would've gone with it. That said, I love my Android phone, it's a little pink ISO5. I like its smaller size, it's quite capable, and it hasn't proven to be ridiculously expensive.

You had better believe, though, that the next time I upgrade my phone, I'll be tryin' for an iPhone.

There is no Japanese dictionary for Android that is as good as Kotoba!, which kinda sucks. Aside from that, I can do just about everything that I want on the Android phone.
Looking for help with the application process? Check out our "Aspiring" forums! http://www.ithinkimlost.com/aspiring-applying/
word

Location: I calls 'em like I sees 'em--I'm a whale biologist.

Postby KIKKI.K » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 pm

I have the HTC desire, and it is fantastic, very intuitive, cool wallpaper (well, you want your screen to look nice yes?), never had any problems with the OS, and i highly recommend the "Aedict" japanese dictionary app, it's brilliant, never tried kotoba, but this one can do all sorts of things like searching kanji compounds from hand writing them, or from radicals or even photos, it's really handy!
plus the camera on my phone is pretty decent^^
KIKKI.K

Postby number one » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm

The reason I'm glad I have an iPhone over any other smartphone is because most of my fellow ALT bffs have one. Makes it super easy to share locations and other things which is really great in unfamiliar Japan. I think seeing all us ALTs with iPhones is even what convinced my tantousha to upgrade to one haha. I like apps like kotoba and anki for Japanese. And if you want to hear the lamest reason ever, I also really like the way the emotes on the iphone look. If your Japanese co-workers love spamming and being spammed alike with emotes as much as mine do, it's worth it to have emotes you like!

Another huge factor (especially now after the new ios) is that some of my friends back home also have iphones. Yay for being able to take advantage of free texting with imessage instead of having to use a separate app like viber or what's app to keep up with my sister/etc. Maybe I'm too picky, but I like having all my text messages in one spot.

So, basically, I only have it because everyone else does which just makes everything more convenient. Plus, like you, I had an iPod touch before and was familiar with the functioning. That's reason enough for me.
number one

Postby Moosashi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:29 am

This website has some great info on Android phones in Japan. Might wanna take a look at it before you get an Iphone, or android handset.

http://www.japandroid.info/
I'm A Leaf On the Wind - Watch How I Soar!
Moosashi

Postby hydroflames » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

iphone, hands down.
it's so annoying sending a google maps pin to someone, only to find out they cant receive them :x
2011 JET participant
hydroflames

Postby pj_automata » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am

The iPhone is probably the best and easiest to use. However you can save a significant amount of money by going with an Android. I have found this site quite useful without having to learn the jargon: http://wuggee.com/compare-best-smartphones.html
Last edited by pj_automata on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pj_automata

Re: Absolutely Terrified

Postby Moosashi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 am

Also, if you want to think ahead, you could buy an Android phone which has international frequencies.(a good used Samsung Galaxy II international would be a good phone)

That way it will be unlocked and you could have 3G and put on a custom rom so you can use it back home.

But even if you didn't do that, Android is the way to go. If you could wait, the HTC One XL is a sweet next generation phone that will last you the contract you sign.
Moosashi

Which smartphone?

Postby hatefulsandwich » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I've had experience with both iOS and Android. Android is more versatile, has more free apps and lets you tinker about with things like ROMs. However, I find the applications are generally of lower quality than the iOS applications. I reckon the iPhone provides a lot more consistent user experience, even if in some cases you are limited by it. I am consistently annoyed at how limited the app store is, for example, to South Africans whereas Google is a lot more open with app availability. Not that that is a concern to you.

I've used Android on a Samsung Galaxy S for a while and I've really enjoyed it, but I quite honestly think that my next phone will be an iPhone unless some really amazing Android phone is developed that trumps the iPhone. I highly doubt it.
hatefulsandwich

Postby irishjoe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 am

Get the iPhone.

1) It's the best.

2) Everyone else has one, so you can send messages and all that craic for free, and it also makes it easy to find out how to use it or what apps to get, cos youcan just ask the person sitting beside you.
irishjoe

Postby word » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 am

irishjoe wrote:Everyone else has one...

Depends. Only one JET in my block has one; everyone else has either an Android phone or a dumbphone. I've heard of lots of other areas where most JETs have iPhones, but ymmv.
Looking for help with the application process? Check out our "Aspiring" forums! http://www.ithinkimlost.com/aspiring-applying/
word

Location: I calls 'em like I sees 'em--I'm a whale biologist.

Postby jim » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am

iPhone is exceptionally useful, easy to use and you can download a million maps to nake living in Japan easier.

The downside is that you have to become an Apple Person, but it's useful enough to make looking like one of them worth the hit.
jim

Postby Moosashi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 am

I also wanna add that Google maps on Android has wayyyyy more features than ios. (I. E type a phone number of a listed business and get their location in Android Google maps.)

That alone makes it worth its weight in gold living in Japan.

I'll agree iphone has more app selection, but Android has enough to make the difference negligible. (basically iphone will have a selection of ie 20 applications that do the same while Android might only have 5 to pick from?)
Moosashi

Postby stinaton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm

If you want to be able to get your phone unlocked so you can use it anywhere, I suggest getting a smartphone with Docomo. The other companies, Softbank and au don't unlock their phones but this past year, Docomo sent out a press release saying that for roughly 3,000 yen ($30), they will unlock your phone for you.

Also, both Softbank and au have the iPhone but au is on CDMA which basically means that you'll have to check your mailbox all the time for text messages in order to get them. It's kind of the running joke with my friends that you can tell who has an au iPhone because they are constantly checking their phone for text messages. That being said, it might be easier for you to get an iPhone with au because they really want business.

I would say look at all three sites (they should have English) to see who would give the best deal. There are a lot of good deals for new customers and for when new models come out. I will say that Docomo has possibly the best service in Japan but Softbank may be catching up.
stinaton

Postby eFred » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:31 pm

katherine2351 wrote:
hatefulsandwich wrote:I've had experience with both iOS and Android. Android is more versatile, has more free apps and lets you tinker about with things like ROMs. However, I find the applications are generally of lower quality than the iOS applications. I reckon the iPhone provides a lot more consistent user experience, even if in some cases you are limited by it. I am consistently annoyed at how limited the app store is, for example, to South Africans whereas Google is a lot more open with app availability. Not that that is a concern to you.

I've used Android on a Samsung Galaxy S for a while and I've really enjoyed it, but I quite honestly think that my next phone will be an iPhone unless some really amazing Android phone is developed that trumps the iPhone. I highly doubt it.

I've used Android on a Samsung Galaxy too and now I want to use iPhone. So could any one suggest me about this. thanks.

I'm really curious about this too. Someone suggested that it's better to get a Samsung Galaxy Note instead of an iPhone. I'm wondering how practical that is.
eFred

Next

Return to Current JETs