Participant Recruitment and SelectionRecruitment and selection of participants is conducted by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs through its embassies and consulates overseas. Individuals interested in becoming JET participants should contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General in their country of citizenship. Click here for a list of participating countries and links to embassies.
In addition to conducting regular recruitment activities using posters, pamphlets and the internet, overseas embassies and consulates hold information sessions at venues such as colleges, universities and career centres during the active recruitment period (this period may vary slightly depending on the participating country and arrival period in Japan).
Participant Selection ProcessBelow is a general overview of the application process. Please note that procedures may vary slightly by participating country or region.
1. The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs promotes the JET Programme and distributes applications via via its embassies and consulates (some countries implement the application process online).
2. Interested applicants must complete and submit applications to the Embassy of Japan in their home country by the deadline designated by that embassy.
3. Applications are reviewed by the Embassy of Japan.
4. Applicants who pass the application-review stage are interviewed at the nearest embassy or consulate.
5. Final interview results are announced (notification is sent to those applicants who are selected as either a shortlisted participant or alternate, as well as to those who are not selected).
6. Once participation on the Programme has been confirmed by the shortlisted participant and placement has been decided, placement notification results are sent by the embassy or consulate.
7. Q&A sessions and preliminary training sessions are held for selected participants at the embassy and consulate.
8. Pre-departure orientations are held at the embassy or consulate.